Saturday, October 6, 2012

28 Weeks, 0 Days - Limitations & "Training Wheels"

Wow!  28 weeks!  I remember when I first started treatment and another patient shared that she was 28 weeks in.  I couldn't imagine it then.  And here I am now!

I'm doing well.  I'm still an "undie."
I have 20 weeks to go.  And I'm gonna be just fine...
Whoop whoop!

Many patients get to this point and - having had such a difficult time - decide to call it quits.  In doing so, their risk of relapse is 25% (if I remember correctly).  My life isn't a breeze, but I know I'll make it.  I know I will.  That's a great feeling. You know, having confident hope - unwavering faith.  I can't say that my track record is stellar in this area.  No, not at all...  I've grown to develop this depth of faith.  And this treatment is included in the credits.

Nowadays I think of my treatment as "training wheels."  God gave me these "training wheels" to assist me in my ride of healing and growth, until I can pedal with more confidence.  In due season, the "training wheels" will come off.  When that day comes, I will have: (1) the balance to enjoy the journey, (2) the faith to ride even though I will fall, and (3) the strength needed to get up when I do.

My "training wheels" reveal to me my limitations.  (This is good!) As I learned to accept my limitations, I learned that they don't really limit me, but give me an opportunity to live a freer life. 

Having limitations means I do not have to do it all, or know it all, or fix it all (even when I can do it all or think I do know it all...). I mean, I couldn't fix this virus, could I?  Not without help, anyway.

Today, I derive such joy and peace when I see others do what I thought only I was supposed to do.  And they do it well too (even better than me - sometimes...LOL!)!

Later!
Shellie

Living in fear is working hard not to lose in the end. Living by faith is knowing I will win in the end. A faithful life is a free one. A fearful life is a defeated one. - Me

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shellie,
    Thanks for sharing your journey. I've met people along the way who feel they can go through life's journey without any help from anyone. Thanks for sharing your faith; it reminds us we never walk nor "ride with training wheels" alone. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete