Thursday, August 30, 2012

22 Weeks, 5 Days: My Liver Compensates Well...

My nurse said something interesting at the 20-week check up. She said, "Your liver compensates very well [to the virus and now this long-term treatment]." Really? Wow. That says a lot about my body and my personality. Often times while growing up, my parents took pride in sharing how "adaptable" I was. I suppose I "adapted" well to the leukemia treatment 25 years ago. I "adapted" to living with Hep C. Even my liver knows how to fall in line: "Your liver compensates very well..." Too funny. Or is it??...

So I'm on Neupogen pretty much 3 out of 4 weeks a month. And this month, I was prescribed to take Procrit on the week I didn't take the Neupogen. Lovely. To remind you, neither of those drugs are for my treatment. They aren't the chemotherapy. I gotta take those drugs in order to stay consistent in treatment. How 'bout that... Yep, my white blood cells don't like to stay in a "treat-able" range without the help of growth factors in the form of Neupogen. Now my red blood cells hadn't been great either, but I guess Mayo would rather me be anemic and light-headed than susceptible to bacterial infections. Regardless, my body is in constant battle: Interfuron and Ribavirin drop the blood levels. Neup and Procrit raise them. It's a sort of dance, I guess. Though, I think my body would say a boxing match. Who's gonna get knocked out this week? Red or white?

Talk about taking life "one day at a time." No wonder God said, "Don't worry about tomorrow, for today has enough trouble of it's own." For real though...

Love y'all! Thanks for reading my blog!
Shellie
Living in fear is working hard not to lose in the end. Living by faith is knowing I will win in the end. A faithful life is a free one. A fearful life is a defeated one. - Me

No comments:

Post a Comment